Love the Water? Think About Living on the Houseboat
Many people want to live near the water. For those water enthusiasts, there is a great option to realize their dream about housing on the water – to build a houseboat.
Compared to yachts, houseboats have one main advantage – a high level of comfort. Large custom-built yachts or refitted barges and river trams can compete with such houses. However, even a well-remade vessel will still remain a vessel. This can not be said about a well-moored platform that gives the feeling of your own tiny island on which there will never be any rolling or pitching. On a platform like this, you can build a house as closely resembling an everyday country cottage as possible.
However, it is necessary to admit that a houseboat can pass and moor where a large yacht cannot. Moreover, even though the high construction cost of a home like this may scare you off, the lifestyle itself is an indisputable advantage. Especially considering the cost of land in many states and regions. Living on a water-based platform usually comes cheaper than maintaining a country house.
A houseboat combines the functions of a yacht and a country house. It is designed to traverse inland waters. This is a large two-story house on the water, ready for you to move in. The houseboat can be equipped with an outboard or stationary engine (or a couple) that can work on gasoline or diesel. Such a motorized houseboat usually moves at a maximum speed of 12 mph.
As for the architecture and interior of the house, they are limited only by one’s budget and imagination, as well as the area and specific qualities of the platform on which your floating homestead will be built. After all the formalities are settled, a floating house can be moored anywhere outside the city limits.
Where to Start if You Dream about Living on a Houseboat?
To build, rent, or buy a houseboat is a conscientious decision. But you should remember that today there are companies that you can trust to take responsibility for your comfort. For example, one such company is Waterway Houseboats. The company believes that the future is in freedom and versatility that comes with owning a waterway home. This is a group of professionals who have a wide selection of houseboats for sale. Also, they can help owners to open up more opportunities for the houseboat lifestyle. So do those who want to buy or rent a home on the water company can help at every step of the process, from the initial research to the final purchase.
So if you are already thinking of buying a houseboat, then reading this mini-guide is an excellent place to start. In a few words, it will give you a basic understanding of essential things about buying and owning the process from people who understand the business of houseboat selling and know all specific sides relating to this type of real estate.
5 Things to Know Before Buying a Houseboat
Of course, if you are a boat enthusiast, then you should contact the experts in this field and, of course, have houseboats for sale or rent. It will save your time and resources to understand the variety of nuances in dealing with the topic. But still, there are a few questions that you will have to answer yourself. This will help you make the most appropriate and practical decision, as well as identify the things that you should perhaps pass on. Here are some of the questions for you:
- How do you plan to use the houseboat before you buy it?
- Should you look for a new boat or get a used one?
- What’s your houseboat budget?
- How are you going to keep up your houseboat?
- And, most importantly, where will you dock?
Owning a houseboat is absolutely not a problem! Unless you have no answer to one (or more) of these questions. These are just some things that will help you get closer to your dream. If you think about these things now, they will help you to make the right decisions in the future. And, also, it will help experts in houseboat selling to understand how exactly they can help you make choose the houseboat that will perfectly suit your individual needs.
Advantages of Living on a Houseboat
- Compact design and a new view outside every day. These are just a couple of incredible things when we are talking about the houseboat lifestyle. The new generation has a new way of thinking. For them, the prospect of living in an area of 100 square feet will no longer seem terrible. But with the emergence of the houseboat, the mundane, boring days are gone, because the landscape will constantly be changing for the owners of a waterway home. Those who can’t stand the hustle and bustle of the city can sail to quiet areas, but those who like to be in the thick of things can moor their houses on central waterways near any town where there is a river, lake, sea, or in any port areas.
- Romantic appeal. Many people living in waterway houses believe that they managed to escape from the routine lifestyle. Every day they receive a small dose of adventure and excitement while remaining in the city.
- Budget savings is another advantage of owning a houseboat. If your home does not stand on the ground, it means that you do not have to pay a land tax. You only should pay rent for one square meter to have parking by throwing a ramp.
- Freedom & comfort. A houseboat should be registered and periodically inspected. But it can be located on any waterway, where it does not interfere with shipping, and there is no “parking is prohibited” sign. Form the functional point of view, a modern houseboat isn’t different from a land-based one. It can have several bedrooms and bathrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a couple of utility rooms. But a houseboat is not limited to those – you can install a fireplace, a sauna, and all the appliances you need, including a home theater and a satellite Internet connection.
- Natural beauty. The weakness of each of us to the beauty of water has been known for a long time. Today, many people around the world have the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful view sitting by the window or on the porch of their houseboat.
Also, they have an opportunity to enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and other waterside activities right from home. Living outside the city, you can regularly visit the beach, swim, sunbathe, or play outdoor games – generally speaking, enjoy a beach holiday without going to fancy resorts.
- Peaceful life on the water. Many people dream of a house by a lake or river, but some go much further in their dreams. A houseboat is a perfect option for living with the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of water. А houseboat has its own engine that allows the whole structure to travel at a comfortingly slow pace for really long distances. They are floating platforms or rafts that are mounted on the surface of the water, connected to the electric network, and also have full water supply and sewage.
- Fishing opportunities. Living near water is a God’s gift for fishing fans who consider spending time with a fishing rod in their hands as the best vacation.
And it’s no wonder that many people prefer the pastime. Combining the thrill of the catch with the tranquil beauty of the landscape, fishing is a perfect hobby to dive into – especially from the porch of your very own vessel home.
- Boating and sailing. Boat stations and yacht clubs are not uncommon among the many countries these days. In such places, rental services for watercraft and related infrastructure (cafes, shops. etc.) are actively developing. And all these places are ideal for making a stop and discovering something new as often as you wish to with your houseboat.
The idea of creating floating communes and even whole cities have already emerged from the category of utopias. Recently, one of the concepts behind the creation of the Oceanix City (floating commune) was even discussed at a UN roundtable meeting.
Given the growing interest in such projects, it is possible in the near future that unique new cities will emerge on the world map. They will be able to withstand floods, tsunamis, and even Category 5 hurricanes!
A house near the shore is a salvation from the stress that modern life is full of.
By registering a houseboat as a vessel, you no longer have restrictions on the freedom of movement throughout the waters. This allows you to go on trips at any distance and discover new places as often as you want it.
Let’s Summarize what You Have Learned about Houseboats
These buildings make both perfect permanent residence and summer getaway locations. They can be mobile or as stationary houseboats. One advantage is that a waterway house can be built where capital construction is not possible.
In many European countries, it is now not only original but also prestigious to have a houseboat on a lake or river. Many people specifically choose this option for housing. Convenience, relatively low construction costs, stability, mobility, and the ability to connect several houseboats into one floating village have made the building of houseboats an attractive idea not only for fans of a relaxed outdoor lifestyle but also for companies that have houseboats for sale or lease.
The construction of houseboats has been carried out for a long time. Some time ago, barges, old ships, and other vessels were used for these purposes. Now, there is a whole new area in the construction industry that deals with building houses on the water perfectly suitable for living.